Pages

Friday, March 25, 2022

Allowing Vulnerability in STEM

 

"There is only one variable that separates the people who have a strong sense of love and belonging and the people who really struggle for it. It's the people who believe they're worthy of loving and belonging." (Ted Talk, Brene Brown). 

I find it extremely hard expressing my emotions and vulnerability with my peers. Im always on a constant battle of shaming myself for not being where I need to be at this point in my life. Or shaming myself for failing a class. Its interesting to learn more of Brown's research between someone who isn't so vulnerable vs someone who is ok with expressing vulnerability. Finding out those who are more compassionate with themselves and accept themselves for their imperfection, tend to have a higher chance of connection with themselves. 

One of the things I have learned throughout my STEM journey is each career path you may think is meant for you, may not be. And that is ok. My biggest struggle is pretending to be in love with something that may not be what I'm meant for. The STEM program encourages one to explore different areas to seek what may be meant for you. Doing this allows to accept the imperfections of yourself that you may not have had the courage to do alone. Hearing other student's experiences where sometimes you may have the same emotions, gives you a big relief because you know you aren't the only one going through this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment