Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Week 3: Identifying contaminants under microscope



Hi guys! Hope everyone has had a productive week. This week Beth Polidoro got the microscope we needed to identify the microplastics and microfibers! To start identifying the microplastics/microfibers off the sample, I had to first coordinate the sample that way I knew where the microplastics/microfibers were located at. I labeled everything in my lab notebook with the sample name and drew out what coordinate the microplastics were at. 

It's pretty awesome seeing the microplastic underneath the microplastic because it is so hard identifying them with just your eyes. Who would've known! I'm excited to see how many of them we go through. All I know is we have a long way to go! Excited to show you guys the results. 

- Francisco 

2 comments:

  1. That is great you got the microscope you need for your project. Where were the plastics located at? I totally agree it is fascinating to see the microplastics under the microscope. Normally when I see plastic I would think you see it as the size of a water bottle. I cannot wait to see your results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of microscope did you get? I'd be really interested to know what qualities you using for visual identification. The all look so alike. I was reading that chitin presents challenges for identification even using Micro Raman, but I imagine that when using only visual identification even silicate could be an issue. What's your filter size?

    ReplyDelete